Originally derived from the Greek word “plastikos”, which means to mold and reshape, plastic surgery is a special type of surgery to change, reconstruct, or restore the human body. It can be broadly categorized as either reconstructive or cosmetic surgery, depending on whether it is done primarily to restore function or to change physical appearance.
Reconstructive surgery is performed to help repair damaged tissue, correct defects on the face or body, and improve dysfunctional body parts. For example, it can be used to remove webbing from a finger, or reattach limbs severed through trauma. While a reconstructive procedure may also change the individual’s appearance, it is instituted primarily to restore function.
- Breast reconstruction: Breast reconstruction surgery is frequently performed after partial and total mastectomy procedures for breast cancer to restore the natural appearance of the breast.
- Repair of defects resulting from skin cancer excision: This reconstructive procedure is performed to remove cancerous lesions affecting the skin and underlying tissues in order to improve treatment outcomes.
- Cleft lip and palate repair surgery: Cleft lip and palate repair surgery can help restore function of the lips and mouth, correct abnormal development, and produce a more normal appearance by joining the tissues that did not join together while the baby was in the womb.
- Burn repair surgery: The goals of reconstructive burn surgery are to improve both the cosmetic appearance and the function of burn scars. This involves altering scar tissue, with both non-surgical and surgical treatments.
- Hand surgery: It is medically indicated to correct the function of deformed hands, correct webbing, or remove additional fingers.
- Scar revision surgery: Scar revision surgery is performed to minimize a scar, restore function, and correct skin changes caused by an injury, poor healing, or previous surgery.
Cosmetic (also called aesthetic) plastic surgery is undertaken to alter and reshape the appearance of a body part that the person is not satisfied with. This type of surgery is not performed for a medical reason and health insurance rarely covers its cost.
COSMETIC PLASTIC SURGERY PROCEDURES
- Breast Enhancement: Augmentation, Reduction, Lift
_ Breast Augmentation is cosmetic plastic surgery that involves using breast implants to increase the size, fullness, and shape of women’s breasts.
_ Breast Reduction is a surgical procedure used to remove excess fat, tissue and skin from breast, helping to create a more aesthetically pleasing breast.
_ Breast Lift is a cosmetic procedure, involving a number of incisions around the areola to remove excess skin from the breast and raise and reshape it. A breast lift may be conducted in combination with breast augmentation.
- Facial Contouring: Rhinoplasty, and Chin, cheek, or jaw reshaping
_ Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic plastic surgery on the nose to change its shape or improve its function. It enhances facial harmony and the proportions of the nose resculpting the bone and cartilage in it.
_ Chin, cheek, or jaw reshaping is a surgical procedure during which, the surgeon inserts an implant into the area to augment its size and shape and achieve a more attractive balance between facial features.
- Facial Rejuvenation: Facelift, Neck Lift, Brow Lift, Eyelid Surgery
_ A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that lifts and firms sagging facial tissues to restore a more naturally youthful facial appearance. During this cosmetic plastic surgery, excess fat is removed, muscles are tightened, and skin is rewrapped around the face and neck.
_ A neck lift offers a smoother and more toned appearance to skin under the chin and neck area that has lost elasticity. An elegant neck contour is not only associated with a youthful appearance but also with health and vitality.
_ A brow lift, also known as a forehead lift, is a surgical procedure that involves incisions in the skin around the hair line. It removes skin from the brow or forehead in order to reduce wrinkles and sagging skin on the face.
_ An eyelid surgery is a type of cosmetic plastic surgery to remove excess fat, skin, and muscle from the eyelids. The aim is to correct droopy eyelids or reduce eye bags.
- Body Contouring: Liposuction, Tummy Tuck, Gynecomastia Treatment
_ Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure used to remove unwanted body fat. It involves breaking up and sucking fat that are hard to lose through exercise and diet. It also refers to cosmetic surgery procedures in which the surgeon recontours the body by removing fat stored directly under the skin
_ Tummy Tuck is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves the removal of excessive skin and fat from the abdominal area. It often alters abdominal muscles to create a smoother appearance with increased tone.
_ Gynecomastia treatment or chest reduction surgery for men is a simple procedure that removes the excess breast tissue, fat, and sagging skin for a sculpted, more masculine chest.